Dec 19, 2018  
Catalog/Bulletin 2017-2018 
    
Catalog/Bulletin 2017-2018 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

History


The Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center was established in 1931 for the training of medical and nursing students and graduate students in the basic sciences. For many years, the lack of adequate research space limited graduate enrollment severely, and it was not until 1954 that expansion permitted a considerable increase in the student body. Although the Graduate School of LSU, Baton Rouge, granted degrees in the early years of the program, the Graduate School of the LSU System was reorganized in 1965 with separate autonomous units established at Baton Rouge, the University of New Orleans, and the LSU Health Sciences Center. On July 1, 2005, the LSU Health Sciences Center in Shreveport established a separate School of Graduate Studies.

The Faculty of the School of Graduate Studies is composed of selected members of the faculties of the other professional schools of the Health Sciences Center, principally in the basic health sciences. Those faculties at the rank of assistant professor or above are eligible to be nominated for membership in the Graduate faculty. Such nomination must be made by two members of the Graduate faculty, through the Dean, to the Graduate Advisory Council. Membership criteria include current and continuing interest in creative research as evidenced by publications in recognized journals in the field and interest in the teaching of graduate students.