Admissions and Regulations
Admission to the program is competitive and satisfaction of basic requirements does not guarantee admission. The admissions committee considers cumulative grade-point average, science grade-point average, quality of courses taken, ACT scores, and experience in the dental/dental hygiene field. The Program selects applicants it considers most qualified for the study and practice of dental hygiene.
- Admission to the program is by competitive application.
- Admission to the Bachelor of Science degree program will be limited to Louisiana residents.
- Attainment of an acceptable quality point average will be stressed.
- Attainment of a composite score of 20 on the American College Test (ACT) is required. School code is 1601.
- Experience in a dental setting is strongly encouraged.
- If a student is not accepted for a program, a new application and related material must be submitted each year in which consideration for admission is desired.
- Students are enrolled once a year for the fall semester.
Admissions Regulations for the LSUHSC-NO School of Dentistry Dental Hygiene
Programs in New Orleans and Lafayette
Application to the School of Dentistry
The LSUHSC School of Dentistry participates in the ADEA administered Dental Hygiene Centralized Application Service (DHCAS). All applications for admission to the first year class for LSUHSC School of Dentistry Dental Hygiene Program must be submitted through this service. The application is in two sections. Section I is the DHCAS application process. Section II is supporting documents mailed directly to LSUHSC School of Dentistry. After November 1 of the year prior to anticipated admission, an application will be available at the LSUSD website http://www.lsusd.lsuhsc.edu/fshygiene.html
1. DHCAS (www.adea.org)
2. Transcripts mailed to ADEA DHCAS Transcript Processing Center, P.O. Box 9129
Watertown, MA 02471. (Submit after fall semester completed.)
3. Two letters of reference, one from a college professor and the other from an additional professor, dentist, co-worker or employer. These letters should be submitted through DHCAS, a maximum of three are accepted.
4. Copy of Driver’s License
5. Personal essay
Arrange to have the following information sent directly to LSU School of Dentistry, Office of Student Admissions
1100 Florida Ave., Box 228
New Orleans, LA 70119.
1. $50.00 Check or money-order. Payable to: LSUHSC (Non-refundable application fee)
2. Resident Verification this form requires PDF reader software to view it. You can download a free PDF Reader here.
3. Passport sized photo (2 ½ x 2 ½) attached to Resident Verification form
4. Copy of your current Draft Card status (males only) you can print a copy off the internet at www.sss.gov
5. Official ACT scores must be submitted to our office from ACT. It is your responsibility to contact the ACT Office at 319-337-1313 for permission to release scores to LSUHSC. The ACT School code is 1601. No photocopies accepted.
Dental Hygiene applicants must be residents of Louisiana.
Your application will not be processed until all of the information/documentation is received by the LSUSD Office of Student Admissions.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure all items are received by the deadline, February 15th.
Bachelor of Science Degree
In order to earn a Bachelor of Science degree, 60 credit hours of general education courses are required in addition to 64 dental hygiene credit hours for a total of 124 semester hours.
For enrollment in the program at LSUSD, the applicant may take the 60 general education credit hours at any accredited institution prior to enrollment. Prerequisite information is available at the LSUSD website http://www.lsusd.lsuhsc.edu/hygprereq.html
The courses for the Associate of Science/Louisiana Transfer degree (Biological Sciences concentration) meet the prerequisite requirements for the dental hygiene program.